Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Ramblings on my makings



Currently I am making a sweet white smocked sweater for my little darling as well as sewing up some sweet overalls from a pattern I made up hoping to open an esty shop one of these days. I made up the pattern because my little sweetie is gifted in the tushie department and she wears cloth diapers (some of which I made her myself) which adds to the girth of her bottom. A lot of the clothing I was finding for her was either too tight across the bottom or too grown up for my tastes. So I started making her some clothes to suit her frame and my tastes. I finally finished tailoring a pattern of overalls for her! Now however I am enjoying whipping up the clothing so much that the poor girl has too many clothes still I feel the itch to sew, hence my plans for a shop.

I also have been known to whip up a few gnomes and fairy's waldorf-style and already the poor child has a basket of little people and creatures that's overflowing. She has a whole bunch of Sally Mavor's "Wee felt folk" http://www.weefolkstudio.com/ as well as a few miscellaneous knitted and felt animals. I have some wonderful Waldorf style toy making books that I find endlessly fascinating as well as inspirational and I am sure I will be making something from them soon. The above picture is of the "daffodil child" and "mother nature" dolls that live on my seasonal table. They were fun to make and as soon as my tubular stockinette arrives I will be making more "flower" children to join them.

I have been slowly stocking up my craft supplies recently because nothing annoys me more than not having the materials I need on hand. I like to be able to make what I want when the mood strikes me, some days I sew, some days I knit and some days I make dolls. I love that my little daughter watches me make these things, watches them come together in my hands. I love that when she gets a gift she assumes that whoever gave it to her made it because so much of what she gets from me "mommy make?"

No comments: