Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Mistakes






I cut out 3 pairs of pants the other day, got lazy and stacked the fabric. This is an efficient way to cut out patterns for me and I do it often. However by the time I got to the second pair I had bought new fabric and wanted to experiment. But I plowed through and finished, they came out cute and are awaiting snaps.


Excited that I could now move on I whipped up a sweet pillowcase style dress (LOVE making these) in the cutest white fabric with musical notes all over it. I made it with black straps and am having a hard time not giving it to my Daughter as I made it to sell. Happily I moved onto the other fabric I got, really cute pirate print on a taupe background. This is where the mistake comes in. I cut the armholes upside-down. I was hot and distracted and stopped paying attention even though I had reminded myself when I sat down to pay attention when I cut the armholes. grrr, so I put it away for a little not wanting to face the fact that I had ruined 2/3 of a yard of fabric.

I eventually came back to it not wanting to admit defeat and I ended up sewing what I had cut away from the end to even up where the armholes had been into a long ruffle and sewed that onto the bottom and proceeded. It came out LOVELY! I am so pleased with it, the ruffles adds just the sweetest touch and because I know there are mistakes in it I don't feel right selling it and now I can happily give it to my daughter guilt free!!! I am so pleased with how it came out that I am starting a ruffled dress with the cutest orange fabric dotted with 2 inch long chili peppers! Generally I am not a fan of ruffles, I find them annoying to make but the effect is so nice I might even get over that.

No comments: