Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Fun stuff



I recently purchased 2 mixed lots of vintage trim and bias tapes on EBay. I got the first one the other day and had a blast pouring though it. A bunch of the stuff I won't use (like 20 packages of iron on hem tape in various colors) and I might eBay it or offer it to someone who wants it (comment if you do). The funniest part about the whole thing was I received it at work, I am a nanny to 2 boys aged 7&10, and the boys were so interested I let them paw through it too. They ended up organizing it and spent almost an hour categorizing and bundling it, one color coordinated and one bundled by type. It was a largely useless exercise as my daughter undid the whole thing when we got home and she had her turn. They had a blast and kept commenting on how fun it was. Now if the other package would just get here! My stepson even messed around with it a bit.

I have been playing with it some and made a few dresses with it but my favorite by far is the one I made tonight. I got a huge roll of (get this) 1.5 inch wide AVOCADO lace. Now there aren't too many thing you can do with avocado lace but I thought I should try seeing as I have a TON of it. I ended up finding the perfect fabric to match it and voila, a lovely dress. Now the only problem is that my daughter doesn't look all that good in green... lol.

I have also decided that I need to get me a book or two on pattern making. I love making the pillow-case dresses and the 2 styles of rompers I make, but I feel like I should know more. So I requested a ton of books from the library and hopefully soon I'll be armed with a little more knowledge when I set about creating and will waste a little less fabric on the prototypes. At the least I'll be inspired.

No comments: